BSides Orlando 2020

Orlando, FL April 10, 2020, April 11, 2020

https://bsidesorlando.org/2020/
Tags: Beginner, Intermediate, Expert, Red team, Blue team, Compliance, Audit, Career growth, Workshops

CFP closed at  February 01, 2020 05:00 UTC
  (Local)

Security B-Sides Orlando is a community driven event seeking to bring together anyone with a passion for making, breaking, or protecting. Newbies, experts and anyone in between are welcome. Even if you don’t work in information security, you will be sure to find topics of interest. Please join us on April 11th in Orlando, Florida, for the 8th Annual Security B-Sides Orlando Conference.

This years conference theme is Southern Hospitality. To that end we are focusing on demos, scavengers hunts, workshops, and adventures that will challenge everyone. Look for references to a time when the transistor was not the key to innovation! We want everyone to get their “hands dirty” and learn more about ICS, SCADA, Software Defined Radio Demos, CTFs, and how to build your career in Information Security. Everyone is welcome from the curious to the seasoned pro!

The event will once again be held at Full Sail Live (approximately 20 minutes north from the Orlando International Airport) on Saturday, April 11th.

CFP Description

Call for Papers and Call for Workshop Information

Please use the form to submit your proposal for talks and workshops for our 2020 event. The event will once again be held at Full Sail Live (approximately 20 minutes north from the Orlando International Airport) on April 11th, 2020 and workshops will be held the day prior on April 10th. The CFP will closing on January 31st and the Blind CFP selection process will be completed by the end of the second week of February. There will be two rounds of selections made during this time, so please look out for emails during that time! In order to ensure you do not miss any event related communications, please whitelist bsidesorlando.org and papercall.io in your email provider.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at cfp@bsidesorlando.org. Thanks for submitting and good luck!

The B-Sides Orlando 2020 CFP Committee

Talk Submissions

In your submission, please be as detailed as possible (including a detailed outline if available) in order for the review committee to properly evaluate your talk. Reviewers will not be focusing on the “Elevator Pitch” section of this submission form and will mainly focus on the strength of the abstract (The “Description” section). Things we’d love to see mentioned in the abstracts include mentioning any hands on demos (live or recorded), what the audience can actually can expect to have covered in the talk, and what attendees will be able take away from the talk.

This CFP will be blind, so please do not include any biographical or identifying information in your proposal itself or the notes section. The speaker bio, email address, and social media information will be hidden from reviewers in order to facilitate a fair review of all submissions.

New this year is a shorter talk format of 20 minutes! This is based on feedback from past years for those who wished to the speak, but did not want to give a standard full length talk. Choosing either format will not significantly impact your chances of being accepted, since the submission review process will be based on the strength of the abstracts submitted.

The Security B-Sides Orlando Board will also hand select a percentage of speakers. This will be Board Selected speakers. Approximately 30% of the track slots will be selected by the board with the other ~70% being selected via the blind CFP process. We feel this gives us the best opportunity to give voice to people looking to give their first talk while also bringing seasoned professionals to the stage for audience members looking to hear from industry and conference veterans.

Workshop Submissions

Also new this year is a call for workshops! If you have a workshop you’d like to submit, please follow the instructions as per the talks section and select “Workshops” in the Talk Format section. Please include as much information as possible in your submission including any requirements for the workshop, an outline of what will be covered in the workshop, and any relevant prior training courses taught or other similar experience. Review for workshop submissions will not be blind and will be handled separately from the CFP review.

Workshops will be primarily held the day before the conference on Friday April 10th, 2020. Currently we are only accepting submissions for 4 hour training classes. The workshops can either be free of charge to students or have a registration fee. Because BSides Orlando is intended to be an affordable community event, we will primarily focus on free or low cost workshops that will offer a great value to our attendees.