Serverless is a recent addition to the long list of technologies that promise to accelerate software delivery, reduce cost of compute ownership and provide unicorns and rainbows for all. And like all industry buzzwords it generates enthusiasm and skepticism in equal measure – how to move beyond the hype?
ServerlessDays started life as JeffConf, a tongue in cheek conference in the spirit of Paul Johnston’s blog post, “Serverless is just a name. We could have called it Jeff”, an attempt to move beyond the Serverless buzzword and focus on the practical use of function as a service platforms and the value they provide. It is a one day, community focused, single track event centred on sharing real world Serverless based solutions within the local Melbourne IT community. It is about fostering a vibrant technology ecosystem and helping all of us learn from each other as we embrace a new way of building applications.
This is the second ServerlessDays Melbourne, and we are hoping to build up the local Serverless community on the back of our 2019 event. Our focus is on building a community through sharing of experiences, made accessible without a large commitment of time or money.
We believe Serverless is a big tent and are looking for speakers with a mix of experience. From people taking their first steps with Serverless, through to experienced practitioners with years of experience who have solved real-world problems using Serverless platforms.
We have three formats of talk you can submit for.
- Keynote - 45 mins
- Talk - 30 mins
- Lightning Talk - 15 mins
Examples of what we are looking for include (but certainly not limited to!):
- Are you new to Serverless? Tell us about your serverless learning journey!
- Are you building a real-world Serverless solution (or the Serverless part of a mixed Serverless/non-Serverless Solution!)
- Experience with Serverless frameworks in production and under load?
- Serverless best practices that have worked for a particular set of requirements?
- Serverless promises to lower the total cost of ownership: what are real world experiences?
- Serverless vs. vendor lock-in: experiences with company politics and/or real world problems, and strategies to overcome resistance?
- Have you had to change the development mindset in your company? How did you do it to bring people on the journey?
- Are you doing something genuinely cool? Or built the most amazing rube goldberg machine! Tell us about it? Let’s have some fun with this!
Mentoring, Review and Coaching
Have you never submitted a response to a conference CFP before? We have mentors who are happy to review your submissions and give you advice! Nervous about speaking and want someone to coach you? We have experienced speakers who are happy to assist you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll introduce you to one of our great mentors.
- 2020/02/14 - CFP Opens
- 2020/03/14 - Tickets go on Sale
- 2020/05/31 - CFP Closes
- 2020/07/15 - Speaker Announcement
- 2020/08/20 - ServerlessDays Melbourne
Being inclusive is very important to us and the CFP process is anonymized to minimize selection bias. Please be aware of this when submitting your response to not add your company name or identifying information in your talk description or subject. Otherwise, a poor sod will have to remove it before it goes to the CFP committee.
ServerlessDays Melbourne is a non-profit community event.