What is API The Docs?
API The Docs is a conference series for practicing and prospective technical writers, API developers, API team leads, product owners, developer evangelists and any other people interested in the documentation side of the transformation that APIs bring to the world. The conference is meant to be a “platform”, an “information hub” – it creates an excellent opportunity to share, discuss and learn about the latest trends and best practices of developer portals and their API documentation components.
About API The Docs Amsterdam 2019
The conference series returns to Amsterdam for this year’s European edition. In collaboration with the Write the Docs Amsterdam meetup group, the APITD team is planning a 2-day event for the first time!
Day 1 will be dedicated to an open space unconference, where you can get together and discuss your issues you face in your daily work (NEW)
Day 2 will be the traditional, single schedule presentation day with talks selected from the CFP pool by a Committee (members: Abi Sutherland, Laura Vass, Daniel beck, Adam DuVander and Michael Meng)
Further information is available on the event page.
Dates to remember
- CFP opens - 15 May, 2019
- CFP closes - 30 June, 2019
- Evaluation, review, feedback & confirmation - July, 2019
- Schedule - 1 August, 2019
Sign up to the API The Docs newsletter for conference updates and post-conference recaps.
The Speaker Selection Committee welcomes every story related to the following topics:
- Editorial workflows & writing formats and how they can be used in API teams
- Portal technologies
- API portal strategy & tactics
- Top portal showcases
- Portal metrics
- Team & cross-team workflows (eg. how to interconnect UX design, website development and DocOps processes)
- Developer portal features, components, and products
- API specification languages
- API design and governance
- Developer experience design, gamification, and innersourcing as tools to improve API quality behind the firewall
- Localization & internationalization of API docs
- Documentation accessibility
- DocOps, Docs as Code, CI/CD case studies
- Career topics (eg. how do I get started in API technical writing)
First time submitting?
API The Docs conferences are an excellent way to get to know the API docs community, share your ideas and introduce your work that you are doing. We strongly encourage first-time speakers to submit talks to our events!
The Committee will evaluate each submission by taking the following criteria into consideration:
- Relevance - Is the content relevant to the conference? Does it provide new and exciting takeaways?
- Originality - Is this an original presentation and not that the speaker repeats at every conference?
- Quality - Is the proposal engaging and well thought out?
Please note that the Committee is unlikely to accept more than one talk from the same speaker and they definitely reject sales or marketing pitches. There are plenty of solutions to generate interest in your project and educate the community without focusing on pure company details :)