One-day conference about API documentation and developer portals
API The Docs is an event series for tech writers, API developers, product owners and developer evangelists who embrace documentation as a crucial aspect of a great developer experience. The conference is a great opportunity to share and discuss the latest best practices, strategies and new trends relevant to API documentation!
The first ever conference in the USA takes place in Chicago (IL) on 8 April, 2019. It is organized it with the support of MongoDB and in collaboration with the Write the Docs Chicago meetup group.
API The Docs Chicago will follow the format of previous conferences in London, Amsterdam and Paris: it will be a single-track event with speakers from different company backgrounds, experience and views on API documentation ensuring the diversity of the program as well as the conference. After the event, we will share the recordings and summaries of the presentations.
Dates to remember
- CFP opens - 10 January, 2019
- CFP closes - 10 February, 2019
- Evaluation & review - 10-20 February, 2019
- Feedback & confirmation - 20-28 February, 2019
- Schedule - 1 March, 2019
Sign up to the API The Docs newsletter for conference updates and post-conference recaps.
The Speaker Selection Committee welcomes every story related to the following topics:
- Editorial workflows & writing formats and how they can be used in API teams (Git based workflows, documentation formats like Markdown, ReStructuredText, AsciiDoc, Docbook, DITA, etc.)
- Portal technologies (Static HTML pages vs CMSs, different solutions
- API portal strategy & tactics (positioning, viral loops, personas, evangelism)
- Top portal showcases
- Developer portal features, components, and products (SDKs, development sandboxes, API quality signals, etc.
- API Specification languages (Swagger, RAML, Blueprint, etc.)
- API design and governance
- Developer experience design, gamification, and innersourcing as tools to improve API quality behind the firewall
First time submitting?
API The Docs conferences are an excellent way to get to know the API docs community, share your ideas and introduce your work that you are doing. We strongly encourage first-time speakers to submit talks for our events!
The Committee will evaluate each submission by taking the following criteria into consideration:
- Relevance - Is the content relevant to the conference? Does it provide new and exciting takeaways?
- Originality - Is this an original presentation and not that the speaker repeats at every conference?
- Quality - Is the proposal engaging and well thought out?
Please note that the Committee is unlikely to accept more than one talk from the same speaker and they definitely reject sales or marketing pitches. There are plenty of solutions to generate interest in your project and educate the community without focusing on pure company details :)