SciPyLA 2017 is the fifth annual conference about scientific computing with Python tools. It is scheduled on November 22nd - 25th 2017 in Sancti Spiritus, Cuba. During the four days of the conference there will be approximately 93 activities scheduled including, but not limited to, talks, pitch sessions, social events, hackathons, hack nights, job fair, development sprints, poster sessions, hands-on labs and workshops . The SciPy community is aimed at improving and fostering the adoption of scientific computing powered by open source Python tools optimized to solve problems in the fields of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering.
Earth Sciences are the key to mitigate the impact of disasters and to prepare for responsible prospection and sustainable explotation of resources. The callenge consists in finding a balance between consumption of societies and preservation of Latin American ecosystems.
Latin American workshop on Python and Earth Sciences
The financial industry, digital payments, and ports across more than 200,000 km of coasts have been presenting a number of mathematical and computational challenges to researchers. Experts will explain how Python tools help small businesses and companies to boost economic growth.
Spanish, Portuguese, English
- Promote the use of accesible and reproducible approaches in scientific research.
- Present recent sci-tech findings using Python or related tools.
- Promote the use of Python in science development.
- Contribute to the Latin American technological development.
Earth Sciences Workshop Topics
Some particular areas of interest are:
- Analysis of seismic records
- Atmospheric carbon dioxide removal
- Carbon neutral fuel
- Climate and weather-related simulations
- Closed ecological systems
- Computational analysis of effects of topography on prospection results
- Comptational magnetometry and applications in geological mapping
- Computational prospection methods based on dip-angle techniques
- Galvanic and magneto-telluric resistivity methods
- Interpretation of electromagnetic surveys
- Interpretation methods based on reflections and refractions of spherical waves
- Natural Science as a Service (NSaaS)
- Numerical calculations and direct interpretation of direct-current conduction methods
- Numerical analysis to determine ocurrence of flow (movement) of ground water
- Precision agriculture
- Propagation of elastic waves in randomly inhomogeneous media
- Reduction and interpretation of potential field data. Gravity and magnetic anomalies
- Seismic interpretation
- Simulation for disaster mitigation
- Vertical farming
- Weather Data Visualization
- Weather Forecasting
In general the program committee will accept paper submissions related to the following disciplines:
Agrobiology, Astronomy, Astrophysics, Atmospheric Chemistry, Botanic, Ecotechnology, Edaphology, Gemology, Geochemistry, Geodesy, Geography, Geology, Geomorphology, Geophysics, Glaciology, Hydrogeology, Hidrology, Inorganic Chemistry, Marine Biology, Marine Chemistry, Meteorology, Mineralogy, Oceanography, Paleontology, Pedology, Petrochemistry, Seismics, Soil Science, Speleology, Zoology.
Tutorials : Workshops on Python tools offered by experts and aimed at improving the productivity of researchers.
Presentations and lectures Keynote speakers will talk about global trends and best practices in science.
Poster Sessions You could present investigation pipeline and results using visually appealing tools.
Sprints Meet the authors of recognized libraries in order to implement more efficient ways to perform scientific calculations.
Lightning Talks Promote and expand the scope of researches by briefly presenting ideas to specialists of the region.
Subscription / Participation / Payment
The registration rates only cover event attendance. There is a differentiation by regions to encourage the participation of students, professionals and researchers of Latin America and the Caribbean with relevant results and yet limited economic resources. For more details consult the registration rates. To know more about other ways to get financial resources read about financial aid.
To make your travel to Cuba an engaging experience, we advise you to read Instructions to travel to Cuba