SciPyLA 2017 is the fifth annual conference about scientific computing with Python tools. It is scheduled on November 22nd - 25th in Sancti Spiritus, Cuba. During the four days of the conference there will be approximately 93 activities scheduled including, but not limited to, talks, pitch sessions, social events, hackathons, hack nights, job fair, development sprints, poster sessions, hands-on labs and workshops . The SciPy community is aimed at improving and fostering the adoption of scientific computing powered by open source Python tools optimized to solve problems in the fields of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering.
The 670 Latin American ethnic groups conform the fastest growing Internet population in the world. Join the experts to discuss regional trends in fields like smart cities, sharing economy, multilingual content navigation, open data, social networking and e-communities.
Latin American workshop on Python, Social Sciences and Humanities
The financial industry, digital payments, and ports across more than 200,000 km of coasts have been presenting a number of mathematical and computational challenges to researchers. Experts will explain how Python tools help small businesses and companies to boost economic growth.
Spanish, Portuguese, English
- Promote the use of accesible and reproducible approaches in scientific research.
- Present recent sci-tech findings using Python or related tools.
- Promote the use of Python in science development.
- Contribute to the Latin American technological development.
Social Sciences and Humanities Workshop Topics
Some particular areas of interest are:
- Adaptive/Personalized conversational media
- Ambient intelligent frameworks, platforms, and systems
- Autonomous building
- Bionic architecture
- Civic technology and Smart cities. Examples and Case Studies
- Computational intelligence for media adaptation and personalization
- Content creation, annotation and modelling for semantic and social web
- Context-aware multimedia applications
- Domed city
- Education as a Service (EaaS)
- Historic preservation
- Machine translation
- Multilingual content navigation
- Online social models for social networking and consumption simulation
- Ontologies and reasoning applied to social media
- Open data: Issues, Services and Solutions
- Privacy/Security issues in Social and Personalized Media Applications
- Semantic context modelling and extraction
- Semantic web technologies
- Semantics-based recommender systems: theory and applications
- Semantics-driven indexing and retrieval of multimedia contents
- Sharing economy
- Simulation of building physics
- Simulation of urban mobility
- Social and semantic media collaboration platforms (e.g. semantic wikis)
- Social multimedia applications (livecasting, audio-video sharing)
- Social multimedia tagging and multimedia content communities
- Social network aggregation
- User modelling and dynamic profiling
- User-generated content mechanisms
- Video Search and Video Mining
In general the program committee will accept paper submissions related to the following disciplines:
Architecture, Bibliometrics, Citation analysis, Computational Linguistics, Computational Sociology, Internet sociology, Journalism, Mass media, Natural language processing, Sociocybernetics, Urban planning, Urban sociology.
Tutorials : Workshops on Python tools offered by experts and aimed at improving the productivity of researchers.
Presentations and lectures Keynote speakers will talk about global trends and best practices in science.
Poster Sessions You could present investigation pipeline and results using visually appealing tools.
Sprints Meet the authors of recognized libraries in order to implement more efficient ways to perform scientific calculations.
Lightning Talks Promote and expand the scope of researches by briefly presenting ideas to specialists of the region.
Subscription / Participation / Payment
The registration rates only cover event attendance. There is a differentiation by regions to encourage the participation of students, professionals and researchers of Latin America and the Caribbean with relevant results and yet limited economic resources. For more details consult the registration rates. To know more about other ways to get financial resources read about financial aid.
To make your travel to Cuba an engaging experience, we advise you to read Instructions to travel to Cuba